In 1937, English Naval architect Warren Hastings, moved to Salt Spring Island from Sussex, England with his bride Barbara. Mr. Hastings said he, “decided to build on Salt Spring Island because we love the sea and we think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, with a lovely climate.” Hastings built the Manor House in 1940 to resemble his 11th century Sussex-style family home.
Other historical buildings comprise the Hastings House Resort. The Farmhouse was built at the turn of the century and was long thought to be haunted because of its colourful history. The Hastings Family lived there until they moved into The Manor House. The Farmhouse was converted into two premier guest suites in 1980.
The Post Cottage was the first Hudson’s Bay post on Salt Spring Island and origially stood where Manor House stands today. The Post Cottage was moved to its present location next to the garden in preparation for building the Manor House and was used as a caretaker’s residence for many years.
The Barn was rebuilt to its original exterior dimensions when the estate was converted into a hotel and now hosts five guest suites and Wellspring Spa.
In 1980, Warren Hastings sold the property to Shan and Donald Cross of Calgary, Alberta who turned the estate into an elegant hotel with ten guest suites and 30 seats in the dining room.
In 1995 the current owners Bonny O’Connor and Jerry Parks purchased the property. In 1999 seven Hillside Suites overlooking Ganges Harbour were built. In 2000 the Verandah was built over an outdoor patio to increase dining capacity and an area for weddings and other gatherings.
The former manager’s residence (Churchill) has been refurbished as a three bedroom guest cottage overlooking the hotel grounds and harbour, bringing the total number of guest accommodations to eighteen.